Friday, August 12, 2011

5.4 Liter Ford Coil Over Plug(s) installation

The 5.4 Triton V8 Delimma

I recently encountered a problem with my 2000 Ford Expedition running sluggish and misfiring. I tried the typical troubleshooting techniques:

  1. Installed Sea Foam into gas tank.
  2. Replaced Mass Air Flow Sensor.
  3. Replaced PCV valve.
  4. Checked for leaks in rubber hoses and rubber elbows.
  5. Spark plugs had been replaced 12 months ago.
  6. Idle Air Control Valve replaced 7 months ago (failed).
  7. Be sure to purge gas line pressure and disconnect the battery.
After trying all these fixes, the problem remained. Then I found a forum where they talked about the coil over plugs and there seemed to be people experiencing the same conditions. I looked at auto zone for pricing on these coils and the cost was about $45 per coil. Having to replace all 8 coils would have been an expensive endeavor, especially if that did not cure my problem.

So I went to Rock Auto website, I found the same part for about $28 per coil, but again I am on a tight budget since I had already spent a few hundred already and had no real resolve with the problem.

Last resort, I went to ebay and found a dealer by the name of onlinewholesaleparts and found a complete set of coils for the low price of $79.50 with free shipping. I ordered the parts with the hopes that these would be a quality part (or at least fair quality). When the box arrived a few days later, each coil was boxed (sets of 2) and bubble wrap on them (maybe not the best for electro-static purposes). I decided it was now or never and went ahead with the removal and install.

After about 2-hours, the job was completed. Now for the final test... I started the engine and oops, when I reinstalled the fuel rail I didn't notice the rubber O-ring for the fuel injector had fallen off. Needless to say the engine did not run.

After fixing the O-ring, I fired up the engine and to my suprise the engine purred just like a kitten, in-fact it ran better than when I had bought it 6 years ealier.

I used the Ford F150 Lincoln Ford Grand Marquis Coil part number DG508. 

Tools used:
Step Ladder (2000 Ford Expedition)
7, 8, 9, and10 millimeter sockets (from memory)
1/4" or 1/2 Ratchet and extension
Careful precision as to not drop the coil screws into the valley pan area

No, I do not receive any commission or reinbursment for the referral but perhaps you can fix your problem while saving some bucks. When you find something that works and is cheap, I feel a civic duty to pass along the information.



You can find the seller here:
http://stores.ebay.com/onlinewholesaleparts

No comments:

Post a Comment